New major release. There are new pathways, new regions, updated data, and expanded non-transportation fuel outputs.
New and Extended Pathways
- Electrofuels which use electricity and carbon dioxide to produce fuel.
- Electricity to methane
- Electricity to methanol
- Electricity to Fischer Tropsch diesel
- Ethanol to jet fuel which can use any existing ethanol pathway as the feedstock.
- Renewable propane based on the existing renewable diesel pathway.
- Wood pellets as a more refined wood product.
- Can be used as an intermediate feedstock for bio oil and refined bio oil.
- Organic waste to RNG via anaerobic digestion.
- Methane slip is now an input for anaerobic digestion pathways.
- Added avoided emissions for slash burning.
- Added Brazil and South East Asia.
- Regionalization includes default data on power production, crude flows, and natural gas flows.
- Regional defaults were added for Brazil, SEA, and the existing New Zealand region.
- Updated Canadian crude oil production.
- Updated crude oil charged in Canada.
- Added carboxymethyl cellulose, CO2, cobalt catalyst, monoethanolamine, olivine, and tar reforming catalyst as chemicals on the Alt Fuel Prod sheet.
- Updated US coal production and emissions.
- Updated Canadian coal methane emissions as a time series.
- Updated US uranium data.
- Updata Canadian offshore oil energy and emissions.
- Updated power data and forecasts from NEB.
- Updated NG production data and forecasts from NEB.
- Updated fish oil production data.
- Updated US grid electricity generation with forecast to 2050.
- Updated US grid fuel consumption with forecast to 2050.
- Updated US MSW/biomass efficiency with hardcoded values until 2018.
- Updated US crude production by region for power.
- Updated US crude oil import and petroleum regions.
- Updated data in the regional defaults.
New Outputs and Structure
- Greatly expanded the Output Summary sheet.
- Power generation and residential heating now have many user selectable feedstock options and blends. Each feedstock has a default power efficiency based on typical real world values, and the option to override with a custom efficiency. Blends use the active blend in the model for each option.
- Removed biofeedstock and biofuel transportation distances from the regional default buttons.
- Added a default button for chemical inputs on Alt Fuel Prod.
- Added a "Reset Model" button to the Input sheet.
- This runs the Canada regional default, all Input sheet defaults, and the new chemical default button. Designed to get the most commonly changed inputs back to a fresh model state.
- Added a user generated power grid.
- This is an available option for electrofuels, power generation on Output Summary, and residential heating on Output Summary. It can also simplify selecting a specific power profile for advanced users.
- Added blanks on material production.
- Similar to existing blank coproducts or chemical inputs, this is to help advanced users quickly add new materials without breaking the model.
- Added the option for electricity generated by a pathway to be counted by displacement method or energy based.
- Removed all VLookup and HLookup in favour of Index-Match.
- This makes data much easier to trace throughout the model. Tracing using the built in formula tools should return much smaller ranges.
- Many small formatting changes since 5.0 to clarify inputs and dropdowns.