In order to assist with the navigation of the reports, each of the reports on this page has had the keywords tagged. All of the tags used are on the left. Clicking on a tag will then show all of the reports that have that keyword. All of the tags that are used with that keyword are then shown listed above the reports.
Tags: GHGenius 3.16 - Manual
1. International crude oil energy and emissions. Several new data sources have recently been identified. These include the International Oil and Gas Association (a time series from 2002 of the energy and GHG emissions of crude oil production for various regions of the world), data from the Alberta Energy Research Institute studies (some specific useful information for countries such as Mexico, Venezuela, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia), and the World Bank flaring study.
2. Canadian electricity. A time series of electric power production on a regional basis in Canada from 2000 has been be developed from Statistics Canada data. Regional generation efficiencies and proportions of power types have been extracted from the data.
3. Rail energy. Statistics Canada has a time series data for freight movement on Class 1 railways. This data has been compared to similar information from the United States and incorporated in the model.
4. Potash mining. Statistics Canada, CIEEDAC, and NRCan Comprehensive Energy Use Database provide a time series for energy consumption, quantity and type. This has been compared to the NRCan CIPEC report that was used as a data source in the model. The new information has been incorporated into the model.
5. Nitrogen fertilizer. Statistics Canada, CIEEDAC, and NRCan Comprehensive Energy Use Database all have a time series for information on this sector. These data sets do not include process energy consumption but that can be calculated. The data sets have been compared to the NRCan CIPEC report that was the base of data in the model.
6. Corn and Soybeans. Fertilizer and yield time series available from the USDA. Some Statistics Canada yield data on these crops and other Canadian crops is available as well. This time series data has been incorporated into the model.
7. Ethanol and Biodiesel energy requirements. New data from the United States is available for both these alternative fuels. An update and development of a time series for ethanol has been incorporated into the model.
8. Some users have identified a number of enhancements for the functioning of the EV macro in GHGenius. These modifications have been incorporated into GHGenius. They provide more functionality and having them in the public model will allow them to be continually updated as model enhancements are undertaken.
9. Natural gas update. The Canadian Gas Association has provided some recent information on distribution emissions. Unfortunately the report did not provide activity data but that that has been developed from other sources. In addition Statistics Canada has data on the natural gas sector and this will be reviewed to see if it can be worked into the model.
Tags: Biodiesel - Corn - Crude Oil - Electricity - Ethanol - Fertilizer - GHGenius 3.16 - Natural Gas - Soybeans
There is increased interest in the production and use of algae to produce fuels for the transportation sector. In spite of all of the interest, there has been very little quantification of the energy and emission benefits of such an algae to biodiesel pathway published, although there is some information on the energy and material balances of some of the proposed algae systems. The available literature on algae production systems has been reviewed to gather the data that is required for modelling and the data has been added to an algae to oil pathway and an algae oil to biodiesel pathway, the same combination of systems that we use for other biodiesel systems, in the GHGenius model.
The GHGenius has been modified so that the SuperCetane pathway that was in the model and could process both tallow and canola oil can now process all eight types of vegetable oils or animal fats. The data that is used for the process is now the operating information for the Neste NExBTL and the SuperCetane description has been replaced by a more generic description of hydrotreated renewable diesel (HRD).
The version of the GHGenius model that accompanies this work is version 3.16. There are other changes that have been made to version 3.16 to update the data in the model but these are described in a separate report.
Tags: Algae - Biodiesel - GHGenius 3.16 - HRD - Jatropha - SuperCetane